UCC overcome local rivals CIT in Fitzgibbon Cup

CIT 0-12 /UCC 1-19
Fitzgibbon Cup Match Report by Adrian McGearty

The game itself started at a frantic pace as both teams came out of the traps at rapid fire pace. It was level early doors as Michael Kearney stroked over a free for CIT just before the tenth minute. That allowed CIT take a one point lead in proceedings. Tom Devine had given UCC the lead before this. Though having put them in the lead before this, Kevin O’Neill wasn’t soon levelling matters for the visitors while Colm Keane increased the lead for the visitors during the first quarter.
A foul on UCC’s Tom Devine by CIT’s Darragh Fanning saw John Power diverting his effort wide off the mark. Collins made up for his poor puck out by scoring the free to level the game. Moments later, possession was lost as UCC’s Jack Barry went on the charge from the goals before passing to Michael Breen. The shot went narrowly wide. Collins pucked to Jerry O Neill on the restart. As a battle between UCC’s Mark O’Brien and CIT’s Kevin Galvin allowed for the ball to be thrown back in between CIT’s Kevin O’Neill and UCC’s Rickard Cahalane. David Griffin made a charge upstream , laying off to Mark O’Brien before Conor Hammersley cleared for the home side before Robbie O’ Flynn took a clash of hurls and went down.

Daragh Fitzgibbon had added to UCC’s lead but a later puck to Shane Forde was missed. UCC continued to hastle with Conor Glesson and Robbie O’ Flynn making inroads. CIT retrieved possession through Niall Fives, feeding Tomas O Connor in the process. Jerry O’Neill levelling matters for the home side midway through the second quarter of the half. While Sean O’ Donaghue cleared the danger in the end , a later foul on Shane Forde saw John Power placing the free wide. UCC reclaimed passion from the puck out. Ball was switched between Mark O’ Brien and John Power . Power’s slip meant CIT retrieving the ball.CIT’s John Looney being fouled by David Griffin. Michael Kearney stepping up to put the free over, making the score 7-6 but UCC’s John Power replied quickly with a point. CIT’s did retrieve possession through Conor Hammersley but this was lost to Darragh Fitzgibbon, who knocked over a fine score. Sean Mahony knocked over a quick fire point from a CIT puck out to leave it a two point game. Through swift passing from O’ Donaghue and Mark O’ Brien saw CIT’s Patrick Collins pulling off a fantastic save as the half came to a close. A succession of wides for both sides meant that UCC took the late initiative at the end of the half with Shane Kingston pointing a free. Mark O’ Conner latched over another score for UCC in between a CIT point from Enda Heffernan.

The 2nd half started and CIT were rewarded a free early on. Patrick Collins slotting over the free from outside the goalmouth. Soon after CIT began to get into their groove. UCC retrieved possession and grabbed a point through Mark Coleman. UCC began asserting control on the game as Sean O’ Donaghue distributed the ball to Conor Glesson with the ball making its way to Mark Breen in a free taking capacity. The ball going wide this time. A foul on Michael Kearney saw Jerry O’Neill come onto the ball for CIT. Eddie Gunning hooked the ball out of danger for the away side. CIT did retrieve the ball after Collin’s puck out was taken by Mark O’ Brien. The free which was awarded gave Collins a chance to redeem himself but it went wide. Eddie Gunning again getting on the ball before feeding John Power. The ball went to Rickard Cahalane who slotted over. That left it a four point lead to the away side.
CIT knew they had to get back in the game and took initiative through David Noonan. Michael Breen took to block him this time. The ball later falling into UCC’s keepers hands through Gleeson’s tackle on O’Connor. Through Jack Barry’s puck out, Michael Kearney fetched and put over a monster point to keep CIT hopes alive as the game went into the fourth quarter. UCC’s Daragh Fitzgibbon retrieved the ball but a foul by Conor Browne gave Kearney the opportunity to lessen the away’s side lead but the free sailed wide. Kevin Galvin came off as a blood sub after sustaining a head wound but managed to come back onto the field in place of Michael Millerick. UCC turned the screw as a through ball from John Power, gathered by Fitzgibbon but fouled , leading to another successful free from Mark Coleman.  Shane Kingston slotted over the next free given before UCC put paid to CIT’s hopes with a goal from O’Flynn in the last five minutes of the game. The final score reading 1-19 to CIT’s 0-12.


  1. Jack Barry (Castlelyons)
  2. Seán O’Donoghue (Inniscarra)
    3. David Griffin (Carrigaline)
    17. Eddie Gunning (Na Piarsaigh)
  3. Chris O’Leary (Valley Rovers)
    4. Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater, Waterford)
    9. Mark Coleman (Blarney)
  4. Rickard Cahalane (Ballymartle)
    12. Darragh Fitzgibbon (Charleville)
  5. Mark O’Brien (Ferrybank, Waterford)
    11. Michael Breen (Ballina, Tipperary)
    14. John Power (Carrickshock, Kilkenny)
  6. Shane Forde (Na Piarsaigh)
    30. Tom Devine (Modeligo, Waterford)
    34. Shane Kingston (Douglas)


  1. Robbie O’Flynn (Erin’s Own) for Devine (20, injured)
    8. Conor Browne (James Stephens, Kilkenny) for Forde (43)
    25. Mark Dolan (Douglas) for Kingston
    31. Seán Hayes (Mallow) for O’Brien
    6. Niall Cashman (Blackrock) for Cahalane (all 59)


  1. Patrick Collins (Ballinhassig)
  2. Eoin Healy Ballymartle)
    3. Daragh Fanning (Pallasgreen, Limerick)
    4. Kevin Galvin (Clara, Kilkenny)
  3. Dave Noonan (Glen Rovers)
    6. Enda Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore, Tipperary)
    7. Conor Prunty (Abbeyside-Ballinacourty, Waterford)
  4. Ronan Heffernan (Clonoulty-Rossmore, Tipperary)
    12. Kevin O’Neill (Watergrasshill)
  5. Andrew Coffey (Nenagh Éire Óg, Tipperary)
    11. Michael Kearney (Ballyduff, Waterford)
    10. Jerry O’Neill (Courcey Rovers)
  6. Tomás O’Connor (Inniscarra)
    21. John Looney (Aghada)
    8. Conor Hammersley (Clonoulty-Rossmore, Tipperary)


  1. John Good (Tracton) for Coffey (half-time)
    17. Donnchadh Hartnett (Mountmellick, Laois) for Healy (41)
    26. Michael Millerick (Fr O’Neills) for Galvin (45-47, blood)
    14. Colm Keane (St Finbarr’s) for O’Neill (48)
    20. Michael Ryan (Clonoulty-Rossmore, Tipperary) for Heffernan (51)

Referee: Fergal Horgan (Tipperary)