Roy Keane Sports Scholarship
1. Aim and objective
The Roy Keane UCC Sport 100 Sports Scholarship reflects the commitment on the part of UCC to excellence in Sport. The aim of the soccer programme is to give talented sportspeople an opportunity to develop their sporting career by offering the highest standards in coaching and training whilst completing their chosen course of academic study.
Applications should be submitted on the prescribed form which shall be returned to the Department of Sport and Physical Activity (“DSPA”), Ferry Lodge, Mardyke Walk, Cork to arrive no later than Friday 30th June 2017.
3. General Criteria
- 3.1 All applicants (male & female) must satisfy the normal entry requirement of the University and have been offered a place on an undergraduate degree course at the university. Applicants should apply for such course through the CAO in the normal way. Existing students are also eligible to apply.
- 3.2 Applicants must be pursuing a full time university course.
- 3.3 Applicants must demonstrate outstanding ability in their sport and demonstrate an ability to compete at Representative and/ or International level and/or have already competed at International level.
4. Adjudication Process
- 4.1 Applications shall be assessed by qualified personnel from within UCC Soccer Club and the Department of Sport & Physical Activity. Applicants will be shortlisted.
- 4.2 Those applicants shortlisted will be called for interview once the Leaving Certificate results are known and University places allocated.
- 4.3 Applicants may also be requested to attend for trials prior to final decision being made
- 4.4 All Applicants shall be notified of the outcome of their application as soon as practicable after the finalisation of the award.
- 4.5 The benefit of the award shall be at the discretion of the awarding committee.
5 Conditions of Acceptance of a Scholarship
- 5.1 The awardee(s) of the scholarship shall sign a sports scholarship contract. Copies of the contract are available from the DSPA.
- 5.2 The awardee(s) of the scholarship shall complete, within 30 days of the award of a scholarship, an “Aims and Objectives” form.
- 5.3 The awardee(s) of the scholarship shall maintain satisfactory academic and sporting progress throughout the duration of the scholarship.
- 5.4 The awardee(s) must pass fitness tests by the university exercise physiologist during the tenure of the scholarship. Failure to pass either test will result in the forfeiture/reclaim of some/all of the Award
- 5.5 All new awardees must undertake a Cardiac Screening Examination in the first term unless they have completed such an examination in the previous two years. Failure to undertake this test will result in the forfeiture/reclaim of some/all of the Award
- 5.6 The awardee(s) of the scholarship must display at all times an appropriate standard of conduct and sportsmanship. The awardee shall never engage in any activity which may potentially bring the university into disrepute.
- 5.7 The scholarship is valid for one year only and must be reapplied for on an annual basis. This is to ensure compliance with the terms & conditions of the contract and satisfactory progress being made both academically and sporting wise.
- Awardees must successfully pass their academic year to be eligible to apply/reapply for the following year. (Academic progression).
- Awardees who successfully pass their academic year but change course choice are eligible to reapply for the following year.
- 5.8 Participation in Intervarsities is compulsory.
- 5.9 The awardee(s) of the scholarship shall commit themselves to the soccer club at the university and participate in all competitions as required.
- The decision of the DSPA and the Roy Keane UCC Sport 100 Scholarship Committee shall, both in respect of the shortlist and the award list, be final and conclusive.
Download the UCC Sports Scholarship Application Form