Individual Sports Scholarship Programme
1. UCC Sport Individual Sports Scholarship Programme
The UCC Sports Scholarships programme reflects the commitment on the part of UCC to excellence in Sport. The aim of the programme is to give talented sportspeople an opportunity to develop their sporting career by offering the highest standards in coaching and training whilst completing their chosen course of academic study. The UCC Sports Scholarship programme is guided by the UCC Sport Strategy and UCC performance strategy.
2. Applications 2021/22
The 2021/22 programme will open for applications on 1 March 2021 and will close for Individual Sports on 31 May 2021.
To submit an online application for an Individual Scholarship please click here: UCC Individual Sport Scholarship Programme
3. General Criteria
- All applicants must satisfy the normal entry requirement of the University and have been offered a place on a degree or postgraduate course at the university. Applicants should apply for such course through the CAO in the normal way. Existing students are also eligible to apply.
- Applicants must be pursuing a full time university course.
- Applicants must demonstrate outstanding ability in their chosen sport and demonstrate an ability to compete at National or International level .
- The sport has to be recognised by Sport Ireland.
- Please note an applicant may only apply for 1 type of scholarship:
4. Adjudication Process
- The DSPA will establish a Scholarship Review Panel (SRP) to consider recommendations for scholarships for Individual Sport
- Individual Sport scholarship, applications will initially be shall be sent by the DSPA to the Head Coach for the relevant sport or, if there is no Head Coach, will be assessed by the Deputy Head of Sport & Physical Activity and the UCC Sport Performance Manager.
- A shortlist of candidates will be selected for interview
- Interviews will be conducted in July 2021
- The DSPA will make a final recommendation following the review process.
- All Applicants shall be notified of the outcome of their application as soon as practicable after the finalization of the award list.
5. Conditions of Acceptance of a Scholarship
The General Terms and Conditions of the UCC Sports Scholarship programme are:
- UCC Sports scholarships are only available to full time registered UCC students.
- UCC Sports scholarships are awarded for a maximum of one academic year. The scholarship shall commence on the 1st of October 2021 and shall conclude on the 31st of September 2022. There will be a two-month probationary period for all new recipients. At the end of this period, scholarship holders may be asked to meet with the Head of Sport or his/her nominee to discuss their performance to date.
- Where it has been agreed that the scholar will continue to work with their individual coach, the coach will be required to countersign this contract.
- UCC Sports Scholarship students must commit themselves to the relevant sport club at the university and represent UCC in all competitions as part of their respective UCC Sports club or team, unless otherwise agreed in writing with the Head of Sport & Physical Activity or his /her nominee.
- UCC Sports Scholarship students may not hold a Scholarship during an academic year spent abroad or on work placement without approval from the Head of Sport & Physical Activity or his /her nominee.
- UCC Sports Scholarship students must be fit to participate in their chosen sport by 15th October of the year of the awarding of a scholarship or by a date assigned by the Head of Sport & Physical Activity and the club in question. In the case of a current or recent injury (occurred in the last 12 months), scholars are required to submit full details of the injury and expected recovery from a General Practitioner, in advance of signing the contract.
- Scholarship renewals are subject to satisfactory academic and sporting performance by the scholarship holder and the availability of funds. Progress of the scholar will be reviewed against specified criteria (see section 2). Scholars, club/individual coaches and UCC Sport Performance programme, (where applicable) will be consulted regarding the progress of the student in advance of this renewal process.
- It is the responsibility of the scholar as a student of the University to familiarise themselves with this Code of Practice, University’s Student Code, Academic Regulations, and any relevant University Policies, Procedures and Codes of Practice.
- UCC Sport and /or the relevant club will maintain a regular dialogue with the scholar to support the athlete and monitor their progress throughout the year.
- Athletes will sign an online contract and commit to the terms and conditions of the programme (Code of Practice).