UCC Sport 2018/19
Major success in sports arena
- UCC winners of Fitzgibbon and Sigerson Cups in Hurling and Football –Camogie Asbourne Cup Finalists
- UCC Soccer Club Winners of Collingwood (men) and Kelly Cup women), Men 1st team were crowned Munster Senior League Winners, crowned O Connell Cup winners & were beaten Beamish Cup finalists, Former UCC soccer club Roy Keane scholarship recipient, Sean McLoughlin signed a professional contract with Hull City FC following a tremendous season with Cork City FC
- UCC Rugby Retention of Division 1 Status in All Ireland Rugby League. UCC U20’s retained the Donal Walsh Trophy & were Frazier Cup Finalists and John Hodnett was on the Irish U20 Rugby team who won the U20 Championship & Six Nations an represented Ireland at World U20s World Cup in Argentina
- UCC Women’s Hockey retained their EY2 status.
- World Champion Rowers – Paul O Donovan and medallist Ronan Byrne. Ronan also won Gold at the European U23 Championships.
- UCC Volleyball winners of men’s & women’s intervarsity & women were 3rd in the British University intervarsity (BUCS)
- UCC awarded Event of Year at the Annual Student Sport Ireland Conference (SSI) – for the Trampoline Intervarsity held in Cork and “Student Administrator of Year” also went to UCC – Ciara Judge – for her role in the trampoline club in 2018/19
- World Student Games in Naples : Women’s Soccer: Ciara McNamara selected to represent Ireland at the World University Games , Men’s Soccer: Rob Slevin, David Coffey, Gordon Walker, Simon Falvey, John Kavanagh, David Philips, & Pierce Philips and Shane Daly Butz – UCC graduate (2018) selected on the Irish Men’s squad
- IWAS World Games: Mary Fitzgerald (Quercus Scholar):1st – Discuss, women’s F40 category. 1st – Shot put, New Irish record of 6.26m and 1st – Javelin, women’s F40 category.
- Tennis: Daniel Moloney was selected to the Irish University Team for the BNP Paribas Masters in Grenoble
- Growing participation in wide range of sport at all levels – over 70 coaches contracted supported by cohort of volunteers
- Completion and launch of new strategy for sport, establishment of Sports Leadership Team and development of partnerships to support sport in UCC
- Detailed planning for new UCC Sports Park and completion of transition plan for sports facilities in progress.
- Over 4,500 members of clubs and 13,000 students who activated membership of the Mardyke Arena.
- Programme of upgrading facilities in the Mardyke and the Farm to complete key essential repairs, maintenance and improvement.
- Development of new performance plan, revamp of sports scholarship programme, 64 UCC scholarships allocated and development of medical, physiology and player welfare support and policies.
- Working Group established to develop physical activity strategy.
- Initiation of governance and finances project to strengthen club sport in UCC.