Day 6 at the World Student Games
Today at the World University Games (Day 6, 9th July):
- On the track both Ciara Everard (UCD) and Thomas Barr (UL) qualified for tomorrow morning’s 800m and 400mH finals respectively
- The Men’s and Women’s Golf Teams are currently placed 5th and 13th respectively following the second day of competition; Sean Flanagan (MU) shot a two under par seventy and currently lies eight overall with Stuart Grehan (also MU) one shot back
- Fiona Doyle qualified 8th fastest for tomorrow morning’s 50m Breaststroke final
- Sycerika McMahon also reached the semi-finals of the 50m Breaststroke while Dan Sweeney and Jordan Sloan swam in the morning heats of the 50m Freestyle but did not progress
- The Men’s Football team lost 1-0 to a technically strong Italian side in their Quarter Final match; they now place France on Saturday morning in the 5th – 8th place playoff.
Tomorrow (Day 7, 10th July) is a very big day for Team Ireland with four students competing in four finals: (all Irish times)
- Thomas Barr (UL) runs in the 400mH final (11am)
- Ciara Everard (UCD) runs in the 800m final (11.10am)
- Fiona Doyle (Calgary) swims in the 50m Breaststroke final (11.12am)
- John Travers (AIT) runs in the 1500m final (12.15pm)
- The Women’s Football Team play Colombia in the 13th – 16th play-off (3am)
- Kevin Batt (Adams State) competes in the 5000m semi-final (1.20pm).
Finally the delegation’s thoughts are today with our team mate and friend John Travers whose father passed away yesterday evening. John will race tomorrow’s 1500m final before returning to Ireland on Saturday to be with his family. Our sincerest condolences to John and his family at this very difficult time.