Cup Final Glory for UCC Staff
Having lost two cup finals in Turner’s Cross in 2012, UCC United men’s staff soccer team was determined to set the record straight on Sunday morning. UCC got the perfect start when Shyam Malla Thakuri rifled home after five minutes but were then rocked by an equaliser two minutes later. UCC re-grouped and stunned their Polish opponents with three goals in a devastating 10-minute spell midway through the half. These goals came from Shyam Malla Thakuri (2) and Aidan McGuinness. UCC were now in control but conceded a sloppy equaliser from a corner just before half-time. The second half was tense as Cork Eagles dictated play. UCC held firm due to strong defending before being breached with 10 minutes remaining. Nerves were frayed during the closing minutes but UCC played with enormous spirit and were delighted to hear the final whistle. Having won the First Division league title in 2013, this was the team’s first success as a Premier Division side.
- The team is managed by Aodh Quinlivan (Department of Government) who also plays in goal.
- Our inspirational captain and assistant manager is Cathal Doherty (School of Mathematical Sciences).
- Walter Messina (Tyndall Institute) is vice-captain and also assistant manager.
- Our Chairman and Treasurer is Gerry Moloney (Department of Anatomy and Neuroscience/Alimentary Pharmabiotic Centre).
- Our Secretary is Ronan O’Dubhghaill (Office of Vice-President for External Relations) and he was in the squad for the cup final.
- Our team was established in 2006 by Declan Jordan (School of Economics).
The team will be commencing pre-season training for the 2015/16 season in late June. We train on Wednesday nights at the Farm in Curraheen and we play matches at weekends (approximately 35 per season). If anyone is interested in joining, please contact Aodh Quinlivan at email@example.com.