Dr. Elmer Morrissey Memorial Scholarship
The Trustees of the Dr. Elmer Morrissey Memorial Scholarship, consisting of classmates, colleagues and friends of the late Dr. Morrissey, have raised a fund for the provision of an annual scholarship to be known as “The Dr. Elmer Morrissey Memorial Scholarship”, to recognise outstanding Engineering students who have excelled academically, in addition to making a positive contribution to student life. The value of the prize is c. €1,500, but this will vary with the income from the fund.
Students may apply for the scholarship subject to the following conditions:
- It shall be open to competition annually only among registered School of Engineering undergraduates and postgraduates who have achieved a mark of 2H1, at the first attempt, in the previous Summer University Examination without compensation and without exemption.
- In the case of postgraduates, the applicant must have achieved an overall mark of 2H1 for their undergraduate degree.
- To be eligible for application, students must be able to demonstrate their contribution to student life at the University, through activity in Clubs, Societies, or other forms of student activity.
- Applications shall be assessed by a selection committee with representation from UCC and the Trustees.
- The assessment shall take into account the academic record, the contribution to student life, and the environmental awareness of the applicants.
- In the case of postgraduates, it would be extremely beneficial if the applicant’s area of research is in the area of environmental sustainability and/or enewable energy.
- Applicants may be required to participate in an interview with the adjudicators.
- No award shall be made in a given year if the adjudicators consider that the applications are of an insufficiently high standard.
- In the event that the award is not made in a given year, the sum concerned shall revert to the capital fund.
The above conditions may be varied from time to time at the discretion of the Trustees.