Take the Stairs
We all know we taking the stairs is better for us than using the lift. That shouldn’t take too much convincing, but in this article I want to tell you how much better it is for you!
Using the stairs can be an additional form of exercise you can easily work into your daily routine. Every building has them and are there to be used. You don’t need any gym gear, it won’t take long (in fact it may even shorten your journey) and it’s free!
Burn Calories ~ 0.15 calories per step*.
Taking the stairs increases your health rate and improves cardiovascular health. It also strengthens the muscles in your legs, abdomen and lower back.
According to the New York City Department of Health:
- Walking up the stairs burns almost 700% the number of calories burned standing in an elevator
- Two minutes of stair-climbing per day burns enough calories to eliminate the one pound the average adult gains each year
- In one study, men who climbed at least 20 floors a week (about 3 floors a day) had a 20% lower risk of stroke or death from all causes
- Stair-climbing has been shown to raise good cholesterol and improve cardiovascular health
Other Reasons to take the stairs:
- Avoiding waiting for elevators,
- No more uncomfortable elevator rides crammed with loads of people
Make a Change:
- Stop using elevators where possible
- Encourage others to take the stairs with you
*based on a study involving 50 people with average weight of 80kg. Only going up counts.